Deliver to:
Please accept my thanks for sending the CD's so quickly. TP Search:
Register
Search Forum:
Scottish and Celtic Music Discussion
New CD 'Dhachaigh' celebrates work of Murdo Macfarlane
nic a' phlutes
Posted: 18-Jul-2008 11:46
A new CD based on the songs and poems one of the most important and respected figures in Gaelic has been launched by the Stornoway Arts Centre, An Lanntair in partnership with the Hebridean Celtic Festival.

The CD, Dhachaigh (Home), celebrates the work of Murdo Macfarlane, a leading poet and campaigner for Gaelic who was widely known as the Melbost Bard. It features standards such as Canan nan Gaidheal and Mi le m’uilinn, and includes some previously unrecorded pieces and new commissions.

Alex Macdonald, Programming Officer with An Lanntair said: “The CD is an important record, especially as Murdo Macfarlane made such significant contributions to Gaelic culture.

“The songs themselves cover such vital topics as emigration; local disasters, such as the loss of the Iolaire; a call to beware the looming threat of nuclear war; and a rousing appeal to stand proud and fight for the Gaelic language. It is truly a stirring and heartfelt compilation of works by a great bard.”

Festival Director Caroline MacLennan said: “An Lanntair and the Hebridean Celtic Festival have worked together for a number of years and this CD is a shining example of partnership between two of the foremost arts organisations in the Hebrides. We are both firmly committed to promoting Gaelic culture locally and on an international platform.”

The artistes performing on the CD are Paul Mounsey, Isobel Ann Martin, Alasdair White, Fraser Fifield & Calum Alex MacMillan, Christine Primrose, Alyth McCormack with Lau, Ishbel MacAskill, Blair Douglas, Anna Murray, Brian Ó hEadhra & Fiona Mackenzie, Mary Smith, and Karen Matheson.

The CD is available from An Lanntair, Hebridean Celtic Festival and various distributors.

http://www.hebceltfest.com/news/?view=full

Track listing and artists (in order they appear on CD)

PAUL MOUNSEY - DHACHAIDH/HOME
ISOBEL ANN MARTIN - 'S FHADA LEAM AN OIDHCHE GHEAMHRAIDH
ALASDAIR WHITE - THE "SYMMETRY"
FRASER FIFIELD & CALUM ALEX MACMILLAN - TOBAIR TOBAIR SÌOLAIDH
CHRISTINE PRIMROSE - MHÒRAG, LEAT SHIÙBHLAINN
ALYTH MCCORMACK WITH LAU - LEAG IAD AM BOM AN RAOIR
ISHBEL MACASKILL - NAOI CEUD DEUG 'S A CEITHIR DEUG
BLAIR DOUGLAS - CÀNAN NAN GÀIDHEAL
ANNA MURRAY - THIG MI GAD IARRAIDH
BRIAN O'HEADHRA & FIONA MACKENZIE - THUG IAD A THUNG THU
MARY SMITH - RAOIR REUBADH AN IOLAIRE
KAREN MATHESON - MI LE M' UILINN AIR MO GHLÙIN
BLAIR DOUGLAS - CHUNNAIC MI UAM A' BHEINN
PAUL MOUNSEY - TILL/RETURN

Chirsty Mhor
Posted: 18-Jul-2008 11:57
Picked it up last night for a look and it's on my "want to buy" list - sounds good.
Elizabeth.
Posted: 18-Jul-2008 13:10
A couple of them came into Foot Stompin' today:
http://www.footstompin.com/products/cds/dhachaigh_home__the_murdo_macfarlane_songbook
nic a' phlutes
Posted: 11-Aug-2008 19:11
Bought this CD at the weekend and the only reason was because Bellan Martin's singing is stunning. She is a squillion times more enjoyable (for me) than someone like Julie Fowlis and her version of 'S Fhada Leam an Oidhche Gheamraidh is worth the £12.99 alone!
Pict
Posted: 11-Aug-2008 21:25
Ordered. :-)
Mìle taing for the info, nic a' phlutes.
Margaret Stewart
Posted: 11-Aug-2008 21:33
I knew Murdo; a lovely man. His speaking voice was so nice and gentle and his singing voice was also good. I have a tape of him singing his own songs, which is precious. Na h-Òganaich were instrumental in taking his songs to an international audience of course - any mention of them on the CD (I hope so).

M

nic a' phlutes
Posted: 11-Aug-2008 21:38
Let me know if you love it or not - I'm afraid I haven't really listened to the other tracks much. I have a really annoying habit of skipping straight to the ones I know I'll love!
nic a' phlutes
Posted: 11-Aug-2008 23:14
I've just listened to the other songs and I think your £12.99 really will be just for Bellan's track and Alasdair White's........number 14 sounds like an STV programme's opening titles.
boula2
Posted: 13-Aug-2008 01:50
To produce a Murdo Macfarlane CD without a mention of Noel Eadie and Na h-Oganaich is a terrible ignominy and not relating the complete story.
Murdo was a great Bard, maybe even the best, however Noel and his band Na h-Oganaich worked with Murdo over many years bringing the songs to life and working out the layout, structure and chords of the major part of Murdo’s work. Take away George Martin and The Beatles would have had probably mediocre success, take away Noel Eadie/Na h-Oganaich from Murdo's work….....….yes probably also.
Pict
Posted: 26-Aug-2008 00:05
Have been listening to this on long car journeys and I have to say that it really grows on you. It's well worth the money. Especially for Bellan Martin's 'S fhada, 's fhada..' (I agree, nic - blows you away), but there are a good few very interesting and enjoyable interpretations on there, instrumental and sung.
Calum Alex's 'Tobair tobair sìolaidh' sounds positively mediaeval (echoes of Maiden in the Moor - anyone know the John Fleagle version?), and saxaphone is used extremely effectively in various tracks.
Blair Douglas's instrumental-only Cànan na Gàidheal surprised me as a choice, but in retrospect, as it's probably by far the best known MM song, that was quite a good idea.
Can't say the opening and closing tracks do it for me, though - not the biggest Paul Mounsey fan anyway, and just can't make the connection to the rest of the collection here.

PS: Boula, nothing about na h-O. etc in the lovingly produced bilingual booklet, in fact relatively little 'meat' apart from a personal intro from Finlay Macleod and the musicians' comments about their own connection to the songs they sing - which are good in themselves, and the very personal touch works. BUT if those unfamiliar with MM himself buy this because they hear clips of Bellan or Karen Matheson, they will not get as much background as I would have wished, and no lyrics.

nic a' phlutes
Posted: 26-Aug-2008 00:58
Glad you liked it Pict - I really like the first 3 tracks and after that it's almost unbearable. I was listening to it on random (kill me now, musicians) and this song came on that very nearly made me cry, so I checked it out and it was Paul Mounsey and I instantly got a bit snobby about it and slightly deflated that it was him. I'm bad I know!

Edited: I don't know if this is true about the singer in question or not but reading (or hearing) a comment in this manner will definitely not help their confidence.
Forum Admin

tubeman
Posted: 26-Aug-2008 02:04
Favourite Paul Mounsey track is North.
Summary
Member: No
Currency: £'s (GBP)
Deliver to: United Kingdom
Items: £0.00
Delivery: £0.00
Total: £0.00
Weight: 0g
New Arrivals
Ross Ainslie - Wide Open
Ross Ainslie
Ross Ainslie - Wide Open
£13.27
Out of Stock!
Atlantic Roar
Skipinnish
Atlantic Roar
£13.27
Out of Stock!
© Foot Stompin' Celtic Music Development by Ayeonet Limited
Visa Credit payments supported by WorldPay Visa Debit payments supported by WorldPay Visa Electron payments supported by WorldPay Mastercard payments supported by WorldPay Maestro payments supported by WorldPay American Express payments supported by WorldPay Diners payments supported by WorldPay JCB payments supported by WorldPay WorldPay Payments Processing