Please accept my thanks for sending the CD's so quickly. TP Search:
Register
Search Forum:
Scottish and Celtic Music Discussion
John Martyn - OBE
Mairi
Posted: 31-Dec-2008 00:46
Sounds good, doesn't it?

Whatever your views on honours, try to savour this notion ... I am very pleased for him.

johnnyguitar
Posted: 31-Dec-2008 00:57
A tease not the same guy ....http://www.dosco.org/pages/info_features/pressroom/press112.htm
He did the Glasgow John recieved a lifetime achevment award so far .http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2008/01/john_martyn_receives_lifetime.html
johnnyguitar
Posted: 31-Dec-2008 00:57
Scotsman link ...http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/Professor-lawyer-financier-and-janitor.4833467.jp
Mairi
Posted: 31-Dec-2008 01:02
johnnyguitar - I think you are contradicting me, however I am right.

Here is the quote from the Scotsman today:

"SINGER-songwriter John Martyn, who grew up in Glasgow and is known for the album Solid Air, has been awarded an OBE. "

johnnyguitar
Posted: 31-Dec-2008 02:01
Silly me googling for info which is now out of date news is indead amazing especially as I have just read his book .Award speaks for the artist in people .My aplogies .lINKS STILL GOOD FOR INSTRUCTION of May you never . From Scotsman SINGER-songwriter John Martyn, who grew up in Glasgow and is known for the album Solid Air, has been awarded an OBE. Other celebrities to be honoured include Liz Smith, 87, who plays Nana in the Royle Family and receives an MBE; Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant, who becomes a CBE; and actor Michael Sheen, who played Tony Blair in The Queen, starring Dame Helen Mirren. He gets an OBE.

JAJ
Posted: 31-Dec-2008 08:41
I'm a little surprised that he's accepted this.

However, "Well Done" to him just the same.

JAJ
Posted: 31-Dec-2008 09:25
Confession...

I've just realised that I have no John Martyn CDs and have had to "dig out the vinyl". Sounding great though. ;-)

Onny
Posted: 31-Dec-2008 10:55
You'd think he'd have more self respect.
Jabba
Posted: 31-Dec-2008 13:30
John Martyn - OBE. It does sound good. His body of work speaks for itself and he doesn't need an honour, but neither does he need anyone to tell him he should have more self respect rather than to have accepted it. Why shouldn't he? Maybe it makes him feel good. After a lifetime's work what's wrong with a little extra bit of recognition albeit from the 'establishment' ?
The farmer boy
Posted: 31-Dec-2008 17:28
As Ive just read his most recent biography Im finding it hard to find some one facet that merits this award, now. His best music is well in the past; he has alienated most of the people who ever cared for him; he is a prodigious substance and alcohol abuser. I gave up on him when I saw him and danny Thompson @ the City halls, well away with it, and Thompson went up into the audience to evict a heckler.
Maybe the Queen wanted to give him an award before he did himself anymore harm
Onny
Posted: 03-Jan-2009 11:57
Does jabba reckon a gong will make Martyn a better musician or put more bums on seats at any concerts?

Having accepted it perhaps he'll have the decency not to use it (even in brackets)

Jabba
Posted: 03-Jan-2009 12:49
Nope. But what he does with it is up to him. Decency doesn't come into it.
John McC
Posted: 03-Jan-2009 13:55
As someone who likes John's music, and still buys and listens to it, I find this totally astonishing.

I can think of no justification for this award to be made.

If someone knows of any, please share.

I do understand what Onny means, at one time John would have told them where to stick it, age mellows some, I guess.

I think I rather make the Economic League's list, like John mentor Hamish Imlach.

At least Hamish Henderson was left with his pride.

Andy
Posted: 03-Jan-2009 14:24
All the telly actors have already got one and John Martyn has been around long enough to be a name the selectors have heard spoken of somewhere or other. And of course the man himself will have mellowed with age.
When an anarchist punk like John Lydon can appear on 'I'm a Celeb' and agree to prance around dressed up like a upper-class twat to advertise butter, who would lay odds that an honour being offered AND accepted is out of the question?
John McC
Posted: 03-Jan-2009 15:41
I suppose what I'm getting at is

a) Who would think this was a good idea, and be his sponsor?

b) What does it do to John's credibility?

c) Will it do him any good amongst the people who would comprise those influenced by him, or even would come and see him?

d) Does Andy's point that all the TV folk have one so why not John, apply?

e) If TV "stars" get it for being household names, is John a household name ?

f) Why?

Onny
Posted: 03-Jan-2009 15:46
Is it really only a year since jabba was suggesting Sir Phil..........Ally (a dogsbody).....Lady Maryanne.....Lord Simon de Thourmire (French)... should all get the Order of theThistle?
johnnyguitar
Posted: 03-Jan-2009 18:43
I suppose it will depend on his autograph .A joke I had with Martin Taylor was I would bring a better guitar to sign next year as everybody else seemed to have sigbed one of mines at guitar festival ,So as promised better guitar and was signed Martin Taylor MBE another since is just Martin Taylor .still own with great respect . I STILL HAVE MY GUITAR STRAP jOHN BORROWED I think ? part of another tale .
Summary
Member: No
Currency: £'s (GBP)
Deliver to: United Kingdom
Items: £0.00
Delivery: £0.00
Total: £0.00
Weight: 0g
New Arrivals
Ross Ainslie - Wide Open
Ross Ainslie
Ross Ainslie - Wide Open
£13.27
Out of Stock!
Atlantic Roar
Skipinnish
Atlantic Roar
£13.27
Out of Stock!
© Foot Stompin' Celtic Music Development by Ayeonet Limited
Visa Credit payments supported by WorldPay Visa Debit payments supported by WorldPay Visa Electron payments supported by WorldPay Mastercard payments supported by WorldPay Maestro payments supported by WorldPay American Express payments supported by WorldPay Diners payments supported by WorldPay JCB payments supported by WorldPay WorldPay Payments Processing