Deliver to:
Please accept my thanks for sending the CD's so quickly. TP Search:
Register
Search Forum:
Scottish and Celtic Music Discussion
What's your favourite slow air
JR
Posted: 27-May-2005 10:54
I'm trying to decide what my favourite slow is. At the moment I can't decide between. Hector the Hero, Niel Gow's Lament for his Second Wife or Marnie Swanson of the Grey Coast.
I wondered what was the favourite slow air of other footstompers.
JAJ
Posted: 27-May-2005 11:28
Too many from which to choose but my favourite composers of these would be Neil Gow and, more recently, Phil Cunningham.
Simon T
Posted: 27-May-2005 12:30
One of my favourites is Welcome Christmas Morning by Jimmy Shand.
Bella McNab
Posted: 27-May-2005 13:06
'Over the moor among the heather' would be one. Also Cathal McConnel playing 'For Ireland I'd not Tell Her Name' on an old Boys of the Lough CD. Former BotL, Aly Bain, is an absolute master of the slow air - he gets a vocal quality to his playing that really brings the tunes to life.

This would be a good place to bring up a pet hate of mine - the practice of everyone joining in on an air when one comes up at a session. If ever there were a case for 'one singer, one song'....

JAJ
Posted: 27-May-2005 13:17
Unfortunately, this is because some people mistakenly think that they are easy. However, I agree that a slow air is a very individual thing.
Even worse, is when they are speeded up and played as jigs, reels, or whatever. Of course, the latter tunes get slowed down so everything is at the same pace. :-(
This is a very common practice at ALPy sessions so you should warn your students personally. :-)

Neil B
Posted: 29-May-2005 11:44
David Milligan does a great arrangement of a tune called Orkney. I also agree with the suggestions of Marnie Swanson of the Grey Coast and most things by Phil Cunningham.
spike
Posted: 29-May-2005 16:25
'Coilsfield House', Niel Gow - still my favourite!
JAJ
Posted: 29-May-2005 17:08
Wasn't that one attributed to(or claimed by) his son Nathaniel Gow, Spike? It's a lovely tune, though.
spike
Posted: 29-May-2005 21:06
Eek ! Thanks John - you're right. Should have known - I've introduced it PROPERLY enough times !! That's what a Sunday diet of the Eastenders and River City omnibuses ( omnibi ??? ) does to your brain !! Next week I'll learn the composers of some tunes, instead.. ! :)
Pict
Posted: 30-May-2005 01:11
At the moment I am hooked on Bruce MacGregor's highly emotional 'The Nameless Clan' on Cliar's first album.
Goose-pimply!
partanface
Posted: 30-May-2005 17:52
I had to pull in to the side of the road when A'Chuthag (The Cuckoo) came on the wireless one Sunday a couple of years ago. From "My Roots are Showing" by Natalie McMaster.

Rob_Steele
Posted: 30-May-2005 21:17
Lament for King George V by Donald Riddell

So powerful and haunting.

fionafiddler
Posted: 31-May-2005 09:18
Mrs Helen N Robertson by A.S. Robertson (in the Fiddle Music of Scotland), closely followed by Lament for the Death of the Rev Archie Beaton by John Mason (I think)
viola
Posted: 31-May-2005 09:54
Tom Anderson,slow airs from Shetland.I'm really loving the shetland tradition, a convert!
Simon T
Posted: 31-May-2005 12:06
Your right viola, Tom A wrote loads of beautiful tunes including Shingly Beach (spelling?)
AndrewFiddler
Posted: 31-May-2005 15:29
I agree with Shingly Beach for Shetland. I heard an amazing performance of this last year by Catriona MacDonald and Annbjørg Lien.

I think Roslin Castle (definitely in C Minor!!) or Archibald MacDonald of Keppoch would be my favourites from the dusty books.

Night in that Land by Johnny Cunningham is currently my favourite contemporary air.

ceilidhmor
Posted: 31-May-2005 17:07
The Heroes of Longhope (As played by the Wrigleys)
Paddy's Rambles Through The Park (As played by Paddy Glackin)
MMMFLLL
Posted: 31-May-2005 19:06
Speaking of Shetland and slow airs - how about this handful -

Lament for Lowrie o' Da Lee - Tom Anderson
Big Dougal - Ian Powrie
John Roy Lyall - Eddie Edmonds
Wallace and Thomas - Cheri Mallaig

All played magnificently by the late Willie Hunter and accompanied by Violet Tulloch ( herself a slow air by Phil Cunningham) and of course you could not forget Willie's own compostions -

Leaving Lerwick Harbour
The Love O' Da Isles
Annie - My Mother

All the above have made this grown man cry.

toots
Posted: 31-May-2005 22:47
All this talk of Shetland brings back memories of Trevor Hunter playing "The Wild Rose of the Mountain" during an unforgettable weekend I spent on the islands several years ago. A truly mesmerising air. It's not only grown men who cry. Old wifies can do it, too.
Cathryn Bauer
Posted: 01-Jun-2005 04:37
>Niel Gow's Lament for his Second Wife< i="" had="" the="" pleasure="" of="" hearing="" pete="" clark="" play="" this="" last="" summer;="" wow.="" his="" rendition="" will="" always="" be="" the="" one="" for="">

Tom Anderson's The Shingly Beach is a favorite of mine. I have been to a shingly beach in the Queen Charlotte Islands. It's a beach of stones, not sand, that have been rounded by the tide and make the most wonderful, soothing sounds as the tide comes in. I always think of this beach when I play it!

Then there's Roaring Water and Tame Her When Da Snow Comes.

Summary
Member: No
Currency: £'s (GBP)
Deliver to: United Kingdom
Items: £0.00
Delivery: £0.00
Total: £0.00
Weight: 0g
New Arrivals
Ross Ainslie - Wide Open
Ross Ainslie
Ross Ainslie - Wide Open
£13.27
Out of Stock!
Atlantic Roar
Skipinnish
Atlantic Roar
£13.27
Out of Stock!
© Foot Stompin' Celtic Music Development by Ayeonet Limited
Visa Credit payments supported by WorldPay Visa Debit payments supported by WorldPay Visa Electron payments supported by WorldPay Mastercard payments supported by WorldPay Maestro payments supported by WorldPay American Express payments supported by WorldPay Diners payments supported by WorldPay JCB payments supported by WorldPay WorldPay Payments Processing