Register
Search Forum:
Scottish and Celtic Music Discussion
Nick Keir RIP
Simon T
Posted: 02-Jun-2013 13:11
Sad news from Ian McCalman

Good day to you all,
I have been asked to let some of his friends know that, after a period of aggressive cancer, Nick Keir died this morning, Sunday, 2nd June. There is nothing I can say to make anyone feel less sad about losing one of the most caring, witty and talented people I have ever met. You get to know people pretty well when you go "on the road" playing music with them for 30 years and not once in that time did he lose his gentle humour and patience with those around him.
My sympathy goes out, particularly, to his mother, who was so supportive to him in his brilliant career.
I am truly sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.
Ian

(McCalman)
JAJ
Posted: 02-Jun-2013 13:22
Really sorry to hear this news.

I have followed Nick's career since the early days and have many happy memories of his music and company over the years.

Special condolonces to all of his friends and family at this sad time.
Pict1
Posted: 02-Jun-2013 14:50
Extremely sorry to hear that. My sympathy to his family, friends and comrades in music.
johnj
Posted: 02-Jun-2013 15:44
It must be nearly 40 years since I travelled around Germany, in a sort of Folk Festival package, with Nic. This was before his McCalmans days. Even though I knew ,as many of us did, that Nic was "not very well "....you just hoped that the news would get better.
This news today, however feared, was still a shock.
Condolences to his family.
stoob
Posted: 02-Jun-2013 19:50
very saddened to hear this. A wonderful talent who will be fondly remembered and sadly missed far and wide
Aislingean
Posted: 02-Jun-2013 20:13
A Great, A Stalwart no matter how you call it today saw the loss to our world of a thoroughly nice person!
jim51
Posted: 02-Jun-2013 22:00
I also knew Nick in his pre-McCalman days and a nicer, friendlier guy you couldn't hope to meet. I saw him seldom in the subsequent years but each time we met it was as if we had never been apart.

A sad loss
Bruce1
Posted: 02-Jun-2013 22:47
All of the team at Celtic Music Radio were saddened to hear this news.

Celtic Music Radio would like to pay tribute to Nick by broadcasting a concert we recorded in April 2011 at Edinburgh’s Voodoo Rooms. You can hear this concert at 1800 on Monday 3rd June, and also at midnight on Monday night/Tuesday morning.

http://www.celticmusicradio.net/nick-keir-1953-201 3/
Tattie Bogle
Posted: 02-Jun-2013 23:27
So very sorry to hear this news: Nick played at Balerno Folk Club with Stephen Quigg just 2 short months ago: I knew he had had a pretty serious diagnosis, but he looked so well then, so it's hard to believe it has come so quickly. He will be greatly missed from the Scottish folk scene and mud further afield.
DAG
Posted: 03-Jun-2013 09:04
I am also really sad to hear this.

Nick was a very old friend of mine. I knew him at Stirling University and he often stayed with us along with Tony Ireland in Finn McCuill. Indeed, I got started on the mandolin by borrowing one from Nick.

A really good guy. I'm so sorry.
Bobashie
Posted: 03-Jun-2013 18:34
Sad news.
My sincere sympathies to his nearest and dearest.

cheerydavie
Posted: 07-Jun-2013 19:41
I followed Nick's career since the early days and have many happy memories of his music and dare I say a drink or two over the years.,MY condolonces to all of his friends and family at this sad time Nick had always a sense of humour and a VERY VERY talented musician I will miss him greatly as he was one of Scotlands great singer/sonwriters But his music will live on
Auldtimer
Posted: 07-Jun-2013 22:22
How deeply sad I was to hear that Nick had lost his fight with cancer. He was a beautiful warm-voiced singer, a great songwriter and just such a lovely, funny gentle person to be with.
Blue
Posted: 12-Jun-2013 12:07
Nick was a wonderful man and a great friend and it's hard to believe I can't just pick up the phone for a good laugh and a chat with him. His funeral was the best I have ever been to; hundreds of people from all corners of his life were there paying tribute to him with their tears, laughter and song, and all of us so sad that he wasn't there. He would have loved it. Many of his songs were sung, and you could hear his voice in them all. I'm really glad I knew Nick.
Summary
Member: No
Currency: £'s (GBP)
Deliver to: United Kingdom
Items: £0.00
Delivery: £0.00
Total: £0.00
Weight: 0g
New Arrivals
Ross Ainslie - Wide Open
Ross Ainslie
Ross Ainslie - Wide Open
£13.27
Out of Stock!
Atlantic Roar
Skipinnish
Atlantic Roar
£13.27
Out of Stock!
© Foot Stompin' Celtic Music Development by Ayeonet Limited
Visa Credit payments supported by WorldPay Visa Debit payments supported by WorldPay Visa Electron payments supported by WorldPay Mastercard payments supported by WorldPay Maestro payments supported by WorldPay American Express payments supported by WorldPay Diners payments supported by WorldPay JCB payments supported by WorldPay WorldPay Payments Processing