Deliver to:
Please accept my thanks for sending the CD's so quickly. TP Search:
Register
Search Forum:
Scottish and Celtic Music Discussion
Celtic-Cajun fusion music
littlecelt
Posted: 20-Jan-2005 20:49
I've been listening to some tunes by Blair Douglas that feature a heavy Cajun influence. Can anyone recommend anything similar but a bit wilder, louder and less well-behaved?
Deirdre
Posted: 20-Jan-2005 22:10
One of my colleagues listens to a lot of Cajun music...and the blame for my New Orleans hangover can be laid directly in front of his door, I could probably get recommendations from him regarding Cajun bands, but as to the fusion? I don't really know how many, besides Blair Douglas, have actually done it and/or recorded it...or if they have, done it as well. _The Celtic Cajun_ is a fun piece, isn't it? Good music to listen to in the AM whilst adjusting the blood ratio in my caffeine stream.

Do you want me to check with my friend and get back to you?

littlecelt
Posted: 20-Jan-2005 23:26
Deirdre, I would appreciate that. Thank you.
FrankC
Posted: 21-Jan-2005 02:28
For Cajun music, a good place to start would be the recordings of the late Eddie Le Jeunne and D.L.Menard. There are countless others who do the Swamp Stomp thang !! Fabulous music.
littlecelt
Posted: 21-Jan-2005 09:54
FrankC, thanks a lot. I'll check them out.
Cathryn Bauer
Posted: 21-Jan-2005 16:18
Greetings: You might like Michael Doucet and his group (not sure if they're in existence) Beausoleil. They're not fusion, but I've often thought I heard other influences in his music. Amazon.com has his/their music.

Blessings, Cathryn

Deirdre
Posted: 21-Jan-2005 17:17
Just to get back to you, littlecelt, I've been given the following names:

Bo Dollis and the Wild Magnolias
The Hawketts
Kid Ory and his Creole Jazzband
Stop, Inc.
Buckwheat Zydeco
Terrance Simien and the Mallet Playboys
Beausoleil
Ils Sont Partis Band
Mitch Cormier and the Can't Hardly Playboys

I can't vouch for any of them, although I've been told (reminded) that I saw several of them last spring ...as may be, all the bands I saw in New Orleans were good. (Getting on for Mardi Gras, too...a very timely request on your part.)

Hope this helps.

littlecelt
Posted: 22-Jan-2005 09:46
Deirdre and Cathryn, thank you so much for your help here. I can see myself spending large amounts of cash on new CDs...
MMMFLLL
Posted: 22-Jan-2005 11:41
Realised one of my ambitions by playing rub-board
with Mitch Cormier and the Can't Hardly Playboys at The Cajun Cabin on Bourbon Street, Nawlins.

Steve Riley and The Mamou Playboys and of course Balfa Toujours with their wonderful young fiddler and vocalist Courtney Grainger, are also worth checking out. Try their LIve at Whiskey River Landing Cd on Rounder. Both these bands played outstanding sets at recent Celtic Connections. Wouldn't it have been great to hear Blair Douglas playing with Balfa Toujours at Celtic Connections. maybe another year.

Other favourites are
Savoy-Doucet Cajum Band and Ken Smith, another great fiddler, who toured here with DL Menard and Eddie Le Jeunne. His version of Creole Stomp was amazing!

Enjoy discovering the music of the bayou.

littlecelt
Posted: 22-Jan-2005 13:16
MMMFLLL, my grateful thanks to you.

Aren't people nice...

Cathryn Bauer
Posted: 22-Jan-2005 16:57
littlecelt, I know just what you mean!

A good way to get a lot of the CDs you want is by going to amazon.com, keeping a long wish list, and watching for the prices to come down on used copies. I have made out like a bandit with this technique for years.

Another thought: I know that the Chieftains have done a number of world music/compilation albums that contain tracks of what might be described as fusion. I don't know that they've done anything with Celtic-Cajun, but maybe so.

Blessings, Cathryn

littlecelt
Posted: 24-Jan-2005 18:25
Cathryn, I've had CDs from eBay but haven't tried amazon. I will, thanks.
Louise
Posted: 26-Jan-2005 17:03
Michael Doucet from Beausoleil is also in a fantastic group called Fiddlers 4 with Bruce Molsky, Darrol Anger and cellist Rushad Eggleston. If you're after something wild then their self-titled CD is certainly fit the bill, and if you fancy hearing them live they're over in the UK on May 2nd at The Sage Gateshead for the Fiddles On Fire Festival (30 April - 2 May). Bruce, Darrol and Rushad will also be taking workshops over the weekend along with Jock Tyldesley, one of the most respected musicians on the UK Cajun scene.
Cathryn Bauer
Posted: 29-Jan-2005 02:34
Louise, appreciate this intelligence. I have had the pleasure of taking a workshop with Bruce Molsky. His style of fiddling, known at least in the U.S. as Old Time, really isn't for me; however, I got a great deal from the workshop and enjoyed it. I can't resist bragging that some of the pictures on his site were taken by me at that workshop!

I am going to keep an eye out and about for Fiddlers 4. As individuals, they're much admired, at least on the Left Coast of the U.S. I'm sure concerts would be sold out immediately.

Blessings, Cathryn

Tom
Posted: 29-Jan-2005 03:31
I've heard that the button-box player Billy McGuire did a cajun version of John McMillan of Barra on an album called Crooked Jack and ?? some years ago. I'd really love to hear it. Is it still on sale or has anyone got it handy? Thanks, Tom
mandobass
Posted: 29-Jan-2005 13:18
The Savoy-Doucet Cajun Band is about as good as it gets but these guys see themselves as "acoustic" and I doubt if they will provide the "wilder, louder and less well-behaved" fix that littlecelt was craving.
I have recommended Steve Riley and The Mammou Playboys' last CD, "Don Reve" to loads of people. It's an absolute belter.
Dierdre - some of your suggestions are a bit wide of the mark! Kid Ory and his band play New Orleans trad jazz.
Deirdre
Posted: 29-Jan-2005 19:57
They weren't my suggestions, mandobass, they were names I got from someone else...and I believe I stated I couldn't vouch for any of them. I don't listen to Cajun music except once a year at the annual Mardi Gras party or unless I have conference to attend in New Orleans and even then, I don't pay attention to the _who_, only the music.

By the by, Simon, I know you don't like people pointing out spelling errors, but can we make an exception for my diphthong? Seeing it continually inverted is maddening.

unionjack
Posted: 29-Jan-2005 22:01
Deirdre, I don't think you should be talking about your diphthong with so many young people about. I'm afraid the Forum Admin will probably delete your post.
Deirdre
Posted: 29-Jan-2005 22:51
Ah, but Simon's not that young, UJ...he has a two year old and if that doesn't age one prematurely, nothing will.
robnite
Posted: 29-Jan-2005 23:03
Deirdre - are you suggesting that Simon's vowels are on the slide?

Summary
Member: No
Currency: £'s (GBP)
Deliver to: United Kingdom
Items: £0.00
Delivery: £0.00
Total: £0.00
Weight: 0g
New Arrivals
Ross Ainslie - Wide Open
Ross Ainslie
Ross Ainslie - Wide Open
£13.27
Out of Stock!
Atlantic Roar
Skipinnish
Atlantic Roar
£13.27
Out of Stock!
© Foot Stompin' Celtic Music Development by Ayeonet Limited
Visa Credit payments supported by WorldPay Visa Debit payments supported by WorldPay Visa Electron payments supported by WorldPay Mastercard payments supported by WorldPay Maestro payments supported by WorldPay American Express payments supported by WorldPay Diners payments supported by WorldPay JCB payments supported by WorldPay WorldPay Payments Processing