Deliver to:
Please accept my thanks for sending the CD's so quickly. TP Search:
Register
Search Forum:
Scottish and Celtic Music Discussion
O'Hara's barra (??????????)
Onny
Posted: 08-Nov-2004 13:06
One of my fellow forumers elsewhere has ask if anyone know more about a song, parts of which which keep going round and round in his head.

He says "Ah hink ra tune is The British Grenadeirs an a cupple ae ra wurds ur " the barra's mine it disnae belang tae O'Hara" an annurra bit is " an ah loast ma hurl in the barra". ""

Anybody have any ideas. So far Goggle has been a pale shadow of its' usual self. TIA.

Onny

JAJ
Posted: 08-Nov-2004 13:18
I thought of Matt McGinn's song "Willie MacNamara" but the lyrics are a bit different.
Auldtimer
Posted: 08-Nov-2004 13:29
As Ah gaed doon the Gallowgate
Ah met wi Wee O'Hara
He says "Hey Jock,
Gies a sook o yer rock
An Ah'll gie ye a hurl in ma barra

Oh the bonny wee barra's mine
It doesnae belang tae O'Hara
For the fly wee bloke
Stuck tae ma rock
An Ah'm gonnae stick tae his barra

Oh the bonnie wee barra's mine
It doesnae belang tae O'Hara
But at ten o'clock
The barra got broke
So Ah lost ma hurl in the barra!

JAJ
Posted: 08-Nov-2004 13:32
Great, Auldtimer. Do you know whose song it is? It sounds a bit Matt McGinnish as well.
Onny
Posted: 08-Nov-2004 13:34
Thank you indeed Auldtimer. I'll pass this along.
Auldtimer
Posted: 08-Nov-2004 13:59
I've always thought it was that great songwriter Anon but it might be early Mcginn. I'll check that out with one of Stramash and let you know.

The only recorded version I have is by the Corrie Folk Trio and Paddie Bell in the mid 60s.

Auldtimer
Posted: 10-Nov-2004 13:39
Checked it out with Anne Neilson, and she says not McGinn but Glasgow street song.
Onny
Posted: 11-Nov-2004 14:07
Thank you Auldtimer and, of course, Ms Neilson.

For some inexplicable reason some of the words have attached themselves to a bit of my brain (probably too much vacant space) and are whirling around..... to the tune of The Girl I Left Behind Me. Does this actually scan?

JAJ
Posted: 11-Nov-2004 14:13
It works very well with the McGinn "Willie MacNamara" tune. Perhaps, Matt was inspired to write his song after listening to the old street song.
janey
Posted: 03-Sep-2005 04:54
I also was curious about O'Hara's barra, and ran across your web site while researching it this evening. My mother was a MacPherson, and this one verse (apparently the only one she knew) I learned from her as a small child. I think it makes more sense than the equivalent verse I read here.

O the bonnie wee barra's mine
It doesnae belong tae O'Hara
For the flye-awee bloke ran awee wi' my moke
And I just got tae stick tae my barra.

If these terms are not familiar, a fly-away bloke is a thief, and a moke is a horse.

(I had to join your site just to say this? LOL!)

Janey

Summary
Member: No
Currency: £'s (GBP)
Deliver to: United Kingdom
Items: £0.00
Delivery: £0.00
Total: £0.00
Weight: 0g
New Arrivals
Ross Ainslie - Wide Open
Ross Ainslie
Ross Ainslie - Wide Open
£13.27
Out of Stock!
Atlantic Roar
Skipinnish
Atlantic Roar
£13.27
Out of Stock!
© Foot Stompin' Celtic Music Development by Ayeonet Limited
Visa Credit payments supported by WorldPay Visa Debit payments supported by WorldPay Visa Electron payments supported by WorldPay Mastercard payments supported by WorldPay Maestro payments supported by WorldPay American Express payments supported by WorldPay Diners payments supported by WorldPay JCB payments supported by WorldPay WorldPay Payments Processing