Deliver to:
Please accept my thanks for sending the CD's so quickly. TP Search:
Register
Search Forum:
Scottish and Celtic Music Discussion
Martyn Bennett RIP
Kevin_Sean
Posted: 31-Aug-2005 04:55
I feel strange posting here, as I only learned of Martyn and his music very recently.

I was trying to find lyrics for a song, Calum Sgaire, and the search I did led me to Margaret Bennett's web site. I followed the link from her site to Martyn's. The first thing I saw there was that he had died earlier this year at only 33. It was a shock. I read that he was born in Newfoundland and learned pipes at an early age, which made me think back to summers I spent on Cape Breton when I was young, surrounded by piping and fiddling and dancing and Gaelic. I listened to the MP3 clips on his page, and was very taken.

I was able to order some of his CDs from Scottland and they arrived today. I just listend to Grit, and feel both great sadness that he is gone, but also gratitude that his music is still here. I can only imagine how great a loss this is for those who knew him.

psychomark
Posted: 27-Sep-2005 16:08
better lat than never - two things about Martyn - I had a brief email dialogue with him when he was going through treatment - I told him, ssomewhat tongue in cheek, that his music made me sick! - I expained that I'd gone through three months of radiotherapy prior to chemo for my cancer - but listening to his music helped get me through it - he saw the funny side as he was ale to identify similar tracks himself. Even now after nearly four years, certain tracks still evoke the feelings I had at the time - although I now treat it as a measure of recovery.

The second is that wehenever I play his music to someone for the first time (Harrys in Heaven being my track of choise) , the reaction is always the same - faces light up with smiles (of disbelief maybe) but everyone loves it!

Martyn had a unique talent for merging the old and the new - fa talent for which, as a cancer survivor, I am extremely grateful.

Rest in Peace Martyn

Onny
Posted: 23-Feb-2006 12:28
Sorry about the length of this link. It's also VERY slow to lead.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16736323&method=full&siteid=66633&headline=tribute-to-the-jimi-hendrix-of-the-pipes--name_page.html

tubeman
Posted: 23-Feb-2006 17:04
My son in law is a techno dj,and when i let him hear Hardlands he took it away.He plays it at all his gigs,and the technoheads love it.Harry,s in heaven seems to be a big favourite.So the word is being spread in other areas.By the way I,m hoping to get it back soon.
Onny
Posted: 24-Feb-2006 10:19
Does anyone know what is the mechanism for the artist to receive royalties when a son in law 'borrows' a CD to play at all his gigs?

Does that artist get a few coppers for selling the original CD and is expected to be grateful for the 'exposure', or is there an ongoing pay per play system that both works AND continues to generate income?

Auldtimer
Posted: 24-Feb-2006 10:30
Clubs which use recorded music require to pay PRS fees and the larger ones have to submit full returns. I think it appears in PRS statements under 'jukebox' or maybe 'broadcasting'.

It wouldn't be a huge amount and getting the music heard would be the major benefit.

tubeman
Posted: 24-Feb-2006 12:35
Not to mention the people who otherwise wouldn,t have Martyn,s music perchance buying his back catalogue,stop being a spoilsport Onny
Onny
Posted: 24-Feb-2006 12:56
I'm not sure how pointing out that using someone else's work to boost your own income counts as being a spoilsport.

It's a while since I've been to anything that would require the services of a techo dj (whatever that is) but my limited recollection is that djs don't often interrupt the flow of the music to name check the artist so I fail to see how the artist benefits.

If Auldtimer's point re not being a huge amount means ' not much money in it and there should be more' I agree entirely. If it means 'not much money in it so it doesn't really matter' we'd have to agree to differ on that.

Elizabeth.
Posted: 24-Feb-2006 13:08

If you want to start another thread on the subject of Clubs which use recorded music or how artists benefit from borrowed CDs played in public you can do that. We think it would be better if this particular thread was kept for people to post thoughts about Martyn Bennett.

Elizabeth
Forum admin

Auldtimer
Posted: 24-Feb-2006 13:23
Martyn was into techno and clubs in a big way!
Onny
Posted: 24-Feb-2006 13:26
I've just had a vision of Elizabeth and Auldtimer squaring up to each other on Celebrity Folk Fight Club.
tubeman
Posted: 24-Feb-2006 16:12
I certainly wasn,t using anyones music to boost my own income.It was the case of a young dj who fell in love with Martyn,s music trying to spread the word to people who he thought would appreciate it.By the way the artists are namechecked usually before and after the song,the same as in any radio programme that is doing the very same thing.Is this not the way that music is promoted worldwide.
raymondo
Posted: 19-May-2007 09:42
firstly, rythm and respect to the best friend I never met and respect to his loved ones. I played a set last night and my last tune was one of martyn's, tongues of kali for those of interest. The reaction i got from the small crowd compared with what i can only imagine the interaction martyn would've had with his made everything else in the world seem so beautifully insignificant and peaceful. True martyn isnt around to creat more ceileidh masterpeices but the music he has left us and as I'm sure the memories he's left those who knew are most definetely powerful, beautiful and extremely influential, it's people like martyn that know how to make us feel really real and energetically charged, proven by the present fact that even though i never met him, I cannot right enough. Carry on rocking the heavens Martyn and we'll meet, in our kilts and stripping the willow, one gloriously fine day.
Summary
Member: No
Currency: £'s (GBP)
Deliver to: United Kingdom
Items: £0.00
Delivery: £0.00
Total: £0.00
Weight: 0g
New Arrivals
Ross Ainslie - Wide Open
Ross Ainslie
Ross Ainslie - Wide Open
£13.27
Out of Stock!
Atlantic Roar
Skipinnish
Atlantic Roar
£13.27
Out of Stock!
© Foot Stompin' Celtic Music Development by Ayeonet Limited
Visa Credit payments supported by WorldPay Visa Debit payments supported by WorldPay Visa Electron payments supported by WorldPay Mastercard payments supported by WorldPay Maestro payments supported by WorldPay American Express payments supported by WorldPay Diners payments supported by WorldPay JCB payments supported by WorldPay WorldPay Payments Processing